Thursday, April 17, 2008

What Causes War?

Thought I'd post a quick blog. The quickest way I know to do that is to copy and past my latest poem. It's about "War" because that's the subject that was given on the Mississippi Writer's Guild Poetry contest. No, I'm not entering it into the contest, but I thought I'd share it with you. Here it is:

What Causes War?

The land of peace and plenty is the place I long to see.
A land in all it’s beauty is the place I want to be.
A land where hate and senseless war will never cross the mind.
A land like heaven far away that we all hope to find.

If we would stop the wars we fight at home and overseas?
Perhaps we’d have the freedom to live just the way we please?
Ah…just a dream that I have had, but it shall never be,
As long as here on earth men rule with pride and vanity?

Never having all we want, and wanting so much more,
We never really understand that it will lead to war.
This demon that we seem to have that calls us past our need,
Is nothing more than selfishness. It’s nothing more than greed.

I have enough, but give me more. I want more than I need,
And I will get what e’er I want if I must make you bleed.
This driving force is deep within my selfish sinful heart.
That’s why I find it easy, and enjoy my foolish part.

I boast of my possessions and my selfish disregard,
Because I learned the hard way that I have the winning card.
So, if we must engage in war to satisfy my mind,
I’m confident that I will win and take the spoils I find.

Oh, foolish man! Have you not read the book that does declare,
The truth we all should live by if we’re happy any where?
It’s not the stuff that we receive that gives us that great peace,
But it’s contentment with the things we have within our reach.

---Lowell A. Brannen

3 comments:

Fred Alton said...

Lowell, I'm not an expert, I know...but this is GREAT poetry. Why not enter it? You are GOOD at this.

SBrannen said...

Yeah, daddy. This is great! You do have a writing gift you should continue to share with the world.

By the way, I'm glad it was you who posted to my blog. I thought it might be a detractor.

Travelin' On said...

LOVE IT!
This is good Lowell. That last stanza alone is so powerful!
Ah, to be content....
What a wonderful world, yes.