Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Primer For Ministry

Everyone who is considering ministry should read the following. It is the meat of the book of 2 Timothy as I see it. It would also be helpful for seasoned ministers as well. Now and then it becomes necessary, because of the distractions of bright lights and dream castles, for me to get my focus back. This has helped me do that. This is not my 'version' of the text; it is my response to it.

I AM CALLED TO PREACH! (2 TIMOTHY)
-- Lowell Brannen

Chapter 1

4) Paul had some unfulfilled desires and Timothy had some tears.
7) There have been times when I was fearful.
8) There has been times when I was ashamed to tell that I was a
minister of the Gospel. You see, sometimes the Gospel has
afflictions, which I try to shun. But because of the power of God, I
will partake of it.
9) I was not called because of my desires or abilities, nor because of
what I was doing, but I was graciously called for His own purpose.
11) I have been appointed by God to be a preacher, an apostle and a
teacher. It's not just by luck or by chance.
12) Because of this, I will have to suffer some things, but I am not
going to be ashamed.
15) Some folks might turn away from me.
16) Afflictions may even include such things as chains.

Chapter 2

1) But I will be strong.
3) I will put up with hardness and I will be courageous, as a good
soldier.
4) As a soldier of Jesus Christ, when in battle, I will not be involved
in the affairs of this life, but I will devote myself wholly to the
battle so that I may please the Lord Jesus Christ.
9) Because of the Gospel, I suffer trouble like one who does evil.
10) Yet, I will put up with all things, for it is more important that I
preach the Gospel to the ones who will hear it, so that they may
obtain salvation.
11) My will and my desires are as though I were dead, so that I may
live with Him.
12) So, I may suffer with Him; I will also reign with Him. I will never
deny Him.
19) The Lord knows that I am His.
20) Some men are like vessels of gold or silver, and some men are like
vessels of wood or earth; Some unto honor and some unto dishonor.
21) Whether I am a vessel of gold, silver, wood or earth, I will
cleanse and purge myself from ungodliness, and therefore I will be a
vessel unto honor, made ready for the Masters use, for some good
purpose.
24) I will not strive and argue with men, but I will be gentle, patient
and ready to teach them.
25) I will teach repentance and salvation even to those who do not want
to hear it.

Chapter 3

1-5) I am aware of the perilous times that are even now upon us. There
are men who are selfish, blasphemous, unthankful, unnatural, liars,
pleasure seekers and God-haters. I will turn away from them.
7) They are continually learning, but they never learn the truth.
8) They resist the truth. Their minds are corrupt, perverted and
immoral as to the faith.
11) My persecutions and afflictions are known, but I will endure them,
until the Lord delivers me out of them.
12) Yes, a Godly life in Christ Jesus will result in persecution.

Chapter 4

2) Even so, I will preach the Gospel because I am called to preach. I
stand ready at all times.
5) I will put up with afflictions. I will overcome the obstacles. I
will do a good job.
7) I am fighting a good fight and I will complete my task.
8) I have a crown of righteousness waiting for me.
10) Though some may forsake me;
14) Though some may treat me wrong;
16) Though none may stand with me;
20) Though I may fail in some areas of ministry,
22) Yet I know, Jesus is with me and His grace upholds me.

4 comments:

Fred said...

This is an excellent piece. Keep up the good work.

Favorite One said...

This is great - even if you're not called to be a "preacher" - it's a great reminder of how we should look at it - My favorite is your comments on Chapter 4, 22) "Yet I know, Jesus is with me and His grace upholds me" - Very Powerful!

Unknown said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch again. This was a good one that also helped me to refocus. Thank you for all of your encouragement.

Travelin' On said...

i miss your bloggin'
love ya!