Friday, July 11, 2008

Speaking of Books

What follows is my reply to a blog on my sisters blogspot:
Did you know that I have a love for books. I do. Like you said, I love to touch them, feel them, even smell them, but one awful fact is, I don't love very much to read them. Ain't that a shame! Sometimes I get envolved in a good book and read it. Most of the time I just read the part that I think I need or the portion that I enjoy and then the book gets shelved. If I had read all the books that I have, I would be a smart man.

Since I don't need books like I used to, and since I can just about always find what I need on the WEB, I don't buy as many books now. However, I still can't pass up a bargin in a book. And if it's a Bible, open the cash register. I'm coming to the counter with the bargin in my hand. I just love the feel of a good Bible.


Let me add here that I think books are very important. They make you look educated if you have enough of them, especially big ones. They will cover a lot of stuff you hid behind them on the book shelf. Stack several big wide ones together and it will serve an emergency seat. They are useful as a temporary leg for the sofa if the leg is missing. Take one with you when you go to the doctor's office. People will think you are very studious. With a little work, you can cut out a hole in the pages of a thick book and make a secret chamber when it is closed. Some books provide hours of fun if you like to trace pictures, but the fun will not last if the book is not yours and you get caught. If you don't like the book you can use the pages to make paper mache.

By the way, I have some books that I'd be glad to give away to someone who needed them, but who needs old books published in the '60s, except maybe antique collectors. The last book I bought cost me, let's see.... was it 25 cents or was it a dollar? I bought it at either the Cleveland Public Library in the FOLA room or it was at Lee's Used Books here in Cleveland. I really like it. It is a hardback NIV, entitled Seasons of Reflection. That's Seasons of Reflection. It is 365 daily readings with special helps on prayer. You know. One of them thru-the-Bible-in-a-year reading programs. This one I need.

3 comments:

Fred Alton said...

Just like your Bible says, "Of making many books there is no end."

Travelin' On said...

Hey what a cool blog.
I like the way you made all those links! You're getting pretty "fancy" ain't cha?? :)
Who knew books could do so much, eh?
I knew I liked them!

Favorite One said...

I love books too, but I don't read them very much anymore. I thought it was because I was getting old - but I think it's really because I have a 3 year old and don't make time to read! You're right though - they are very useful. Someone once told me that you can tell a lot about a person just by looking at the books on their bookshelf. Wonder if they meant looking at the dust or all the different Bibles I have?! Love ya!