Saturday, October 2, 2010

Am I Getting Old?

Yesterday, Friday, proved to be a day that demands my consideration of the aging of my, and my wife's, mind and body!  We thought we would go to Captain D's for a break from the routine of our daily evenings and, for Janis, a break from the kitchen.  We ordered our meal, selected our table and waited a few minuets for our ticket number to be called.  Everything was going as it should, except for the fact that I had ordered two sides that was not the best combination, but it would do.  I wouldn't change it.  I hate to do things like that.  Still all was well.  We were enjoying the evening together.

Somehow, Janis made a move that resulted in her cup of water spilling right into her lap.  Oh my goodness!!  Water all over her lap, the booth seat, and the floor.  I helped her clean it up enough so that she could still eat, while sitting in the wet seat.  We continued with our meal and were ready to leave.  I thought she would be embarrassed with the front of her jeans being all wet, but the dark blue color of the jeans was a blessing because it really didn't show up too obviously.  So, with the tray of our dishes in my hands, we proceeded to leave.  As I turned around to leave the table, from somewhere, out of nowhere, appeared this half wall divider, right behind our booth and the tray in my hands found it.  Suddenly the cups with water and maybe a few of the other items like napkins etc., found their way over the wall onto the next table.  Oh no!!  Not again.  This time I was the one to be embarrassed.  I quickly got some paper towels and began cleaning up the mess while apologizing to the occupants in the booth.  Oh, thank goodness for large tables.  It did not splash on them and they were quite understanding.

Well, that makes me wonder if we are getting older or what.  I've noticed a few other minor fumbles that I've made lately, but wait a minuet!  Hasn't that always been the way it was?  As far back as I can remember, I have made mistakes.  When I was younger I made mistakes, but it seems that people were not quite as understanding.  And, yes, most of the time I probably could have avoided them.  Now, when I make a mistake, my age seems to get me off the hook.  That's good.  I should have some benefit for living this long.  I expect the benefits to increase as my age advances.  Hopefully, one day Janis and I can do whatever we want to, right or wrong, and no one will be upset about it.  Do you think that day will ever come?  Hahahaha!  LOL

I am glad that God is a merciful God.  If God was not merciful, I would be totally lost, without hope, but God is merciful.  Not only does He forgive me of my mistakes, and my out-right wrong doings, but He also blesses me with many, many good things.  One day I will be changed into the image of Christ.  Then I will make no more mistakes.  (1 John 3:2  Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.)

Well, enough of that.  Just go to my website and buy something or visit my church page and see if there is anything there that might help you appreciate God a little more.

2 comments:

Fred Alton said...

Oh Nooooo! I hate it when stuff like that happens. And doesn't it seem that once it starts it just won't give up? How embarrassing for Janis - and for you too. But the two of you are so graceful and you both know how to handle it. I wish I had your patience.

Favorite One said...

I LOVED this blog entry!

At least you didn't FALL - like I did recently. yes, I fell at my step-son's house - ALL the way down the flight of stairs. Although no one was supposed to have seen it - I think my grandkids thought it was really funny to see 'ol Nana's foot fly up from under her and her leg sticking out while the rest of me went "boom" "boom" "boom" down the steps!

Oh wait - I guess that WAS a funny picture! One thing about it - the older I am, the harder I fall. LOL

No worries - I'm almost healed up now. Just goes to show - you don't have to be REAL old (LOL) to make a slippery mistake.