Friday, October 15, 2010

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This

Did you ever have one of those days when everything hit you at once, or when everything just came together so perfectly?  We tend to quickly blame somebody or something, or maybe even God when it's things we don't like, but do we express thankfulness when it's things we do like?  I've had a mixture of those kind of things lately.  Mama Said  there'd be days like this! (Ya gotta click on "Mama Said")  My first tendency was to be upset about a leaky roof, a faulty air conditioning system, a major drain clog, and a leaky jeep radiator, just to name the recent, prominent things, but here is the fact at this very moment:  I am living comfortably in my home with my beautiful wife, I've got clothes to wear and food to eat, the vehicle that sits out in my carport is dependable and ready for tomorrow, and God loves me!


The few brief and small rains we have had in the past months have not been heavy enough to assure me that the leaky roof is no longer a problem, and I have reason to believe that the roof still leaks.  Nevertheless, I know that the story of my leaky roof is not over yet.  It is still being written.  But for now I am dry.  Although my air conditioner is doing a very nice job now, I still owe a little more payment for the work that was done.  The plumber who repaired my drain line turned out to be someone that was a pleasure to meet and I would not have met him if it had not been for the drain problem.  The leaky radiator in my jeep has highlighted the excellent graciousness of one of my brother-in-laws and nephews.  What a blessing to be in such a great family.  This all begs to mention the Bible verse that says, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)


Mama and Daddy both said a lot of things that I disregarded when I was young.  I wish I could recall every one of those bits of wisdom.  Well, Fred, Wil, Bonita and Donice, (my siblings) we still have our mama today, and I'd say that she still has a few bits of wisdom to share with us.  Some of it we heard yesterday and we will hear it again tomorrow, but for now, I think I'll listen to what Mama said.  

2 comments:

Fred Alton said...

Hey Lowell! Loved the song by the Shirelles...and I do remember that Mama said "there'll be days like this"! Thanks for reminding me. I read a statement by Max Lucado that may fit the tenor of your post. He said, "The source of your problem is your blessing!" You are blessed with a house with a roof over your head - that's why you have a problem with it leaking. You are blessed with a 4x4 jeep - that's why you have a problem with your radiator leaking. etc., and etc. Love you Brother.

Favorite One said...

You have a wonderful outlook on life - maybe we should add "Uncle Lowell Said" - if you review your blog - you have said many things that teach us some great lessons!

Mama Said is a good song & I liked the video. When I saw the "Mama Said" in your post - I immediately thought of Irma B. Williams' book - "Mama Said". I believe it still for sell through the COG Publishing house. It's a wonderful book and DVD, along with a Bible that says "Mama's" on it. The book corresponds the scripture and the page in the Bible. It is short, simple sayings that her Mama taught her - along with a song and skit for the children to learn. Since age 2, Chloe learned the song "Thank you, I am learning to say Thank you, Thank you - is such a lovely thing to say..." Obviously, I learned it along with her. And, to this day - we still sing it. Good to do things that Mama said to do!