Thursday, December 15, 2011

It May Be Time For Another Change

You might as well expect it and get ready for it.  Change, that is.  It will happen.  We try to make life simple and easy, yet enjoyable and meaningful.  Sacrifices are made so that we can have the greater benefits tomorrow, or next week, next month or next year, but, as you might already know, things change.  So, in our attempt to accept change, we may decide that we really don't want, nor need the so called benefits that we have been working for.  It seems then, that we have wasted our time and energy, and if we can't accept the change and go with the flow, so to speak, we will likely become frustrated with life in general.
I know that we must put forth or best effort, and when things don't seem to work out properly we must try and try again, and possess a determined spirit.  But, like it or not, sometimes our efforts are only driving us further away from our goal.  Then it's time to accept change and take a new course of action.
I have found that I have been able to adjust to change fairly well.  That doesn't mean that I like change, it just means that I can go with the flow, so to speak, and make life enjoyable to some degree of acceptability.  For example:  When I joined the Air Force, life changed drastically for four years.  When I completed my tour of duty and returned to civilian life, my life changed again.  When I got married, my life changed to never be the same again.  When I lost my wife in an automobile accident, change forced it's way in upon my life.  Then I remarried and started a new journey.  Children came; life changed.  My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer; change.  I was diagnosed with Hepatitis-C; change.  Over and over again, changes come.  We must face it.  Change will come.
All of these changes were happening while I was trying to become a minister of the Gospel.   I had accepted the call to the ministry while still in High School and had set my sails for that 'beautiful isle of somewhere', or at least I had 'visions of sugar-plums dancing in my head'.  Had I not accepted the changes and learned to live with those that I had no power over, I would have most likely been misdirected early in life and probably would have never been ordained to the ministry by any church synod.
Now, I am retired.  WOW!  What a change.  I'm still adjusting to changes.  Doesn't it ever stop?  Yet, there is one more change that I am anticipating.  It is the change from this mortal body to an immortal one, from this corruptible body to an incorruptible one.  I shall be changed, and I will go with the flow, so to speak.
1 Corinthians 15:51-58 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. 55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

2 comments:

Fred Alton said...

Amen, Brother! Amen! And I too am looking forward to that change you speak of when this corruptible body will put on incorruption and this mortal life will be swallowed up in victory. It is indeed amazing to look back over your life and see the changes and how easily you have adapted to them. Oh, I'm sure you had your moments, but you have adapted to drastic change and made it look easy. I admire you for it.

Tabitha said...

And we will be changed. I am so grateful for my ever changing family. It isn't easy to embrace change, but embrace it we must. However, my Grandmother Hildreth would say, "Live and learn, die and forget it all."