Friday, March 9, 2012

So You Can't Have Peanut Butter?

Why would anyone be told that you can't have peanut butter?  Well, if you were told that you can't  have peanuts, that does it.  Everyone knows that peanut butter is made out of peanuts.  How sad!  Peanut butter is supposed to be so good for you and besides it makes a great peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  We haven't even mentioned the Reese's peanut butter cups, peanut butter fudge, peanut butter cookies, and of course, peanut butter covered pancakes (If you haven't tried that, you're really missing out).  Sadly, it is true, some people have been told that they can't have peanut butter.
I don't know all the reasons why some people cannot have peanut butter, but I do know one reason it is bad for some folks.  If you have a bad liver, some doctors will tell you that you should not eat peanut butter.  What ever the reason may be, I have found a solution.  Hooray!  My first discovery was that other nuts that make butter is a very good substitute.  For example, Almond Butter.  I've found it at Walmart, Bi-Lo, and of course the health food store.  But, be ready to pay noticeably more.  Not as much as medicine but a lot for 'peanut butter'.
The next discovery I made was "nutella".  Have you ever heard of it?  Yes, it's on the shelf near the peanut butter also.  Nutella is a Hazelnut spread with skim milk and cocoa.  Believe me.  This is good stuff.  It too is more expensive but it may be worth it if you can't have peanut butter and wish you could.
Now, there is one more substitute that I have found to be excellent, maybe the best yet.  I just found this at Bi-Lo about a week ago.  It's called "Soy Wonder", a creamy soybutter.  Don't let the "soy" scare you.  I'm willing to try things.  Sometimes I loose and sometimes I win.  I believe I have won with this one.  I'm telling you, this is good.  Ummmm-ummmmm good.  Of course it is peanut free.
Three peanut butter substitutes.  All priced about two dollars more (depending on the size).  All good.  So, do not be distraught, you peanut-butter-loving friends.  There is more than one way to satisfy that peanut-butter-loving taste bud.  Almond butter, Nutella, and Soybutter.

2 comments:

Fred Alton said...

Hey, my brother, Lowell! Man, yes! I love Nutella (which we discovered in Guyana, S.Amer. where it was relatively cheap.) Almond Butter is also very tasty. I seldom buy it because of the price - but Frances likes it, so there. As for the Soybutter ... ??? I haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Favorite One said...

I'd like to know if it tastes good on pancakes? And, will it work the same for recipes of fudge, cookies, etc? I'd think so - but since I haven't been told not to eat peanut butter, for now - I'll stick with the peanut butter - which also sticks to the roof of my mouth ;)