Monday, August 13, 2007

Off The Top Of My Head! (Not talking about hair)

Sorry I haven't blogged lately. I've either been too busy or too fatigued to take the time to write something meaningful. But then, if you look at my other blogs, some of them may not have been very meaningful. So I guess that means I can just sit here without a predetermined thought in mind and just blog.

Let me tell you what's been going on. I've been trying to re-do (that's a word related to honey-do) my kitchen when I feel 'up to it' and that just makes me feel 'down and out' if I work very much. I've learned to just work until I'm tired, then rest. Then I go back at it and work a little more and then rest again. Also, I've learned that I do not have to do it all today, so I don't get in a hurry. As a matter of fact, sometimes I drag along so slow you could probably watch the dead lice fall off of me if there were any there. ha ha! Some weeks I have four or five pretty good days and some weeks its like a long drawn out sentence.

You know! I've always thought of myself as a perfectionist. If I did something, I wanted it done right. Not only right, but complete. And by the way, 'right' and 'perfect' are to be understood as "right as I see it" and "exactly my way". Sounds a little like pride and arrogance doesn't it? Well, that's what it is. It's perfect if I think it's perfect. It's right if I think it's right. So, as I was saying, I always wanted to do things my way and if they didn't go just right, I would quickly loose interest in it's completion. Unfortunately, that resulted in many unfinished projects. I said all that, to say this - I'm learning to do a little here and a little there, and a little here and a little there, and to keep on doing a little here and a little there and the next thing you know, I'll be near completion. Even if I have to stop and tear out some of my work and start over anew, If I just don't get overwhelmed with the thought of "hurry up and do it and do it right", the job will get done. So it turns out that I think I am doing more of this honey-do stuff, now while I am sick from this medication, than I did when I was supposed to be well. I do see a regrettable truth hidden here: Janis is going to put it together after a while, and realize how lazy I have been these past several years, and she will probably decide, after I'm finished with my treatments, that it's time for me to go back to real work. OOooooooooohhhh! Well, I can't ride this ship forever. Perhaps by that time, I will then feel like going back to work.

Oh! Here's something! I'm thinking about going back to school at Lee University. Yeah! Really! The University is offering a special program to seniors, over 60. Here's what I understand: I will have to pay a registration fee of $50.00 and by my books for the course. That's it financially. It covers the tuition for two classes (6hrs.) per semester. Let me say it this way: It will cost me $50.00 per semester to take 6 hrs. of college credit, and I must buy my books (those can be high). Now, is that not good? Or what? It also allows me to get a student I.D., attend classes and participate in the school functions just like any student. I can audit the class or take it for credit (same price). If you didn't read it in the Cleveland Daily Banner or the Bradley News paper, you may think I'm kidding, but just log on to http://www.leeuniversity.edu/ and check it out. It's called the Encore program. When I first read it, I got excited, and planned to go right away and see about signing up, then in a few days I was reminded how this treatment can take away ones excitement and cause them to possibly abort any new projects. Now, you know I don't want to do that. I think I may try to audit one course and see how it works out. After completion of my treatments, I should surely be able to "milk this cow dry".

Enough said today! I hope you all are doing great. Check back soon!

6 comments:

Travelin' On said...

Well, it's me the blogger sloth. I ain't writing much, but at least I haven't quit reading!
I'm glad to see you're back! I heard about your kitchen project! MAN. It sounds like a big project too. I think you've got the right idea, slow and steady and it will all come out the way you want it....DONE!:)
Praying for your strength. Take care.

Unknown said...

Praying for your strength, but wondering how against scripture it might be to change the age on my driver's license and pretend I'm 60. That is a sweet deal about school. Wish they had something for the 38 crowd that was reasonable like that.

Favorite One said...

Wow! I like that Encore thing too. By the way - it almost sounds like a sermon in your paragraph about starting/stopping what we're doing. Sometimes we want it our way - the perfect way, at our own pace, in our own time. But HE sometimes lets us stop, tear it down & start over - HE knows exactly the way (& how long it will take) the final project will turn out - perfectly. :-) I luv you bunches & hope to hear more bloggin' from you soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow! As a witness for the last 31 years, I can honestly say...this is progress!!! You see, I get my perfectionisitc streak from you dad. I know how hard it is to just take your time to do something. I'm always feeling like I have to 'hurry up and get it done (and done the 'right' way)! I guess that's not such a bad thing to learn though. It made me a person that usually follows through with whatever I start. Anyway, that's awesome about the courses at Lee! You need to jump on that while it's available and before they realize how cheap that is! Well, keep on blogging and hanging in there. I love you and of course, I'm praying for you.
Love ya diddy,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I have always thought you missed a calling - a writer. I think this is what made your sermons so good. You should consider writing a book.
We miss you all.
Love,
The Colorado Brannens

Anonymous said...

If you go to school at Lee, then we need to go to the rec center and play ping pong. Even though I don't have a student ID anymore, my friend C.J. can hook me up and let me in so we can play!
Love you dad,
Jonathan