Thursday, June 19, 2008

Campmeeting Days

It's campmeeting time in Cleveland! Tennessee, that is. Yes, and I am enjoying the preaching, the praying, the singing, and the shouting. Campmeeting is not like it used to be. There is a reason for that. I need not say anything more about it. If You're under 30, I doubt you have ever seen campmeeting like some of us old-timers have seen it, but I thank God that He is still blessing and touching lives in these modern times. Thank God for campmeeting.

Long ago when but a boy, at old campmeeting time,
How my heart would fill with joy to hear the old bells chime,
Calling all the saint of God into the house of prayer,
Oh, such singing, praying, preaching, for the Lord was there.

I like the old time preaching, praying, singing, shouthing,
I like the old time reading of God's Word.
I like to hear those old time Hallelujahs, Glory,
I like the old time worship of the Lord.

Need I say more? No, I do not, but I will. I will also say that I like the new time worship of the Lord. That's right. I might like the new time worship better because the old time worship is gone and it is in the past. All I can do with it is remember it. I need something now. I want to worship now. I want to be involved in the praise now. So, when I lift my hands now and sense (lest I say 'feel') the presense of the Almighty, I like it better than just remembering the old times.

I'm calling all senior citizens in the church to a challenge. Let's just get right in there with this 'now' worship and see what happens. Oh, I know. We don't know the songs............Yet. But we will learn them. The now worship may be off our beat, but we'll get used to it. As long as we are worshiping God, let's worship NOW. We have a testimony that can only be experienced by the passing of time. We need to share this testimony with those who have not been there yet, who will listen, and who haven't lived long enough to experience what we have. One day they will, and if our testimony is fresh in there minds, it may be the help and encouragement they will need to make it through some hard times. Oh, they will face difficulties of some kind sooner or later and we know how it feels. They need our testimony, but it won't be effective if all they can think of when they see us, is an old bitter cistern or an old, ragged, worn-out bucket with holes in it. Let's rejoice about the Great and Mighty God whom we serve, even if we may not be happy about the style of praise and worship used today.

I still like the old 'Red Back Hymnal' and good old Souther Gospel, but if I'm gonna worship in church today, I'd better learn the new songs and learn to praise in the new fashioned way. I don't think it's the ways and means that matter but it's the motive and end product that counts.

7 comments:

Favorite One said...

You could've used this as a sermon at church! I believe you are so right - we need to worship - no matter what the music is! And, "Now IS the Time to Worship"! And, this even stands true with the younger generation who might not appreciate the red back hymnal (which I adore) - if it's being sung from - Now IS the Time to Worship!

Regarding your 6/13/08 blog - did you write that? That's pretty good - I can even hear a sermon out of it. :-)

Love you!

L A Brannen said...

Hey favorite one, yeah. I wrote it, and your dad thought I had been riding a horse somewhere or something, and wondered how in the world I could even dare to try that, I think. I really haven't been riding any horse anywhere, although I would like to. You have to read under the surface to get the message.

Fred said...

Well said, my young Brother Lowell. (I'm smiling as I type)

Travelin' On said...

I could hear the music when I read the blog!
Yep, I have lots of camp meeting memories but they were different from the camp meetings that are held today. What's camp meeting without a hand held fan, or the Louisiana humidity to cause your nice church clothes to stick to your body, or without those certain few folks that you KNEW were gonna take a few "laps" around the TENT, or ok, the tabernacle. ha
Ah yes.... those were the days. :)
Yes, I liked your "back in the saddle" rendition as well....
I'm about to saddle up...for a bike ride.
love ya!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that worship is in the air in Cleveland :)
Miss you all already, but it is much cooler here!
with much love,
thebrannens of CO

Fred said...

It occurs to me this morning on worshipping with the new music that for the last 20 years I've had some practice at worshipping God when I didn't understand the music! At least here, with the new music, the words are sung in English. LoL.

K E Alexander said...

Thanks for this, Lowell!