Saturday, January 24, 2009

"Firsts"

Here are some 'firsts' that have already happened this year that I will remember for a long time:

Gabriel (Gabe) is the first, and of course the only, biological grandchild that my wife, Janis, has. She has two step-children, my own biological children, but Gabe is her first. She raised her step-children and loved them as though they were her own and she did not fall short in that task by any means, as far as I can see.

Barack Obama is the first black president that the United States has ever had. I knew it could happen and figured that it would happen some day. I really thought a woman would be elected before a black man was, but, I guess you see I was wrong about that. I may be wrong about a woman being president some day. Time will tell.

Election day, January 20th., was the first time for me ever to report for Jury Duty. I reported to the federal court house in Chattanooga as instructed but was not selected to serve. Sure, in the past, I have been notified of jury duty, but I was always excused and didn't even have to report because I was the pastor of a church. However, being an associate pastor did not make any difference to the judge in this case.

There probably were some other 'firsts' that could have been mentioned but those are some that I won't forget. Most likely, there will be some others that will happen in my life. As a matter of fact, every day is a 'first'. I have never experienced this day before and tomorrow will be a day that I have never experienced before. I plan to do some things that will be to me, a 'first'. How I respond to these 'firsts' is very important because it will make a difference in my life. It will happen and I will respond. Then I will have to live with myself.

Since "Today is the first day of the rest of my life", I pray Lord, help me to respond properly to everything that happens in my life, and may my response be one that will bring honor to your name.

3 comments:

Favorite One said...

Firsts can certainly be fun - or sometimes even funny!

Interesting that you finally reported for jury duty - hmmm, guess that may be a first for me one day. I've never even been called - never had to worry about being excused from it.

I can so relate to Aunt Janis' extra joy. I sincerely - whole-heartedly love my step-grandchildren - but when we finally got Julian - WOW he was MY first. Not to mention the first boy with Brannen blood in him via the Fred Brannen clan! You know, I bought my van with the thought that I could haul my grandbabies around (including Chloe of course). Now, I think I need a bus! There's not enough seats in the van! :-) What a blessing grandchildren are & what a treasure to have little Chloe too. Ok, enough of that.

Keep posting the great blogs! There ARE still several of us that can't/don't use FaceBook. :-)

Love you Lots!

Fred Alton said...

Congrats on the birth of Gabe! I know it's not your first, but you were thoughtful of Janis' first. You know I've never been called for jury duty? I was once called in to testify in court in a domestic dispute between a husband and wife who were members of my church - but never jury duty. We had a great Prayer Conference in Knoxville. Wish you could have heard Tim Hill's sermon. In fact you can...I bought a DVD of it if you want to borrow it, let me know.

L A Brannen said...

Ruthie, you may have to borrow the church van! lol

Fred, I would like to hear Tim Hills message. Next time I'm at your house, I'd like to borrow it.
Thanks