Thursday, January 31, 2008

Here's my latest poem

For lack of a better title, let's call it:

The Sighs of a Sluggard

The day has come, the day has gone,
And here I sit. I’m all alone.
The day was short, and not so kind,
I could not satisfy my mind.

Were you out there? I should have known.
You did not speak. Then you were gone.
But then I thought, Why should you care,
About my plight, or my despair.

I had the day just like you did,
And all day long, My face I hid.
I could have called, or visited,
But here is what I did instead:

I sat me down upon my chair,
And focused only on the air.
I only thought of me myself,
And all my dreams upon the shelf.

I viewed them over in my mind,
And knew that they were left behind.
What a wise man I’d have been,
If I had only let you in.

Time and time and time again,
I know you tried to be my friend,
But I refused to let it be,
Because of my concern for me.

Why, oh why did I do wrong,
By doing nothing for so long?
Now, it’s gone. My days are spent.
And for this sin, I now repent.

— Lowell A. Brannen

4 comments:

Fred said...

Lowell!! Give us more poetry. This is GOOD. However, I have to say that when a person is sitting and reflecting and his mind is churning with ideas like these that he translates to paper for the entertainment or inspiration of his fellows in this fashion it is an indication of industriousness - not of being a sluggard.

Louis Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louis Morgan said...

Great poem! I agree with Fred, you need to give us more of this. Also, glad that you are feeling better from your surgery.

Travelin' On said...

Great work! You are talented.
You have captured in your poem how I too have felt on many occasion.
I suspect others will relate. Good writing is engaging....like yours.

I love ya!!!!