Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Charismatic Morality

In reference to a blog by The Dawg Howse entitled "The Fuzzy-Wuzzy World of Charismatic Morality", I mad a reply that I thought I should use as a blog of my own. If you want to read the article, go to http://thedawghowse.blogspot.com/ and read his blog. The following is my reply to his blog:

I think the "fuzzy wuzzy world of charismatic morality" is getting "fuzzaier" all the time. I have watched several of these tv evangelists with admiration and a few with a grain of salt. I looked on, helplessly, as PTL crumbled. I watched the 'Swaggert confession - I Have Sinned' and was disappointed, the Bynum 'royal wedding' and was amazed, the White 'announcement' and was puzzled, and several other dramas that left me with unanswered questions. I've seen sights, inappropriate for saints to behold in our own churches, and heard 'sermons' that, in my opion, should not have been preached. I see the COG loosing it's holiness distinctive. I know that holiness begins in the heart but if it is given a chance it will show up on the body. Lest I stray from the point, let me say that we must be serious in our desire to please God and we must get serious in our practice of holiness. I know I am convicted already when I say that, but by God's grace I will do better. I still believe that it is God's desire for one man to be married to one woman, or vice-versa, and that they should be bound by their pledge, 'until death do us part'. However, there might be a few cases where..........................Oh Lord!.............Help us!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am very disturbed by J. Bynum and the WHite's divorce and the reaction in the church world to it. Divorce is sin. God Hates divorce. How can these people say, 'oops, we're sorry...wrong person' and then continue -- with no counsel -- ministering in a pastoral capacity...what is wrong with us??? Who will stand up for God~

Fred said...

I read the full article from the "dawghowse", plus his post of the J. Lee Grady article and must say I agree for the most part. In my own ministry I've felt the undermining of our anchor points. Things like our traditional "holiness" position concerning external appearances and our General Assembly rulings written in the "Minutes Book" are not only ignored but often mocked as meaningless and usually get a good laugh in a circle of preachers. Yes, I too have laughed at situations caused by some of the postulations made as a result of those things. Lately I've begun to wonder. Hmm, ...

Travelin' On said...

Hey Brother,
I didn't want to glibly post a comment until I had taken the time to read the entire article myself. Yes it is a great article and point well taken by Grady! I like what he says here:
" I wish that Paula had said this: "Divorce is not God's will. It destroys families. If anyone out there is thinking about divorce, please don't choose that path until you have tried every avenue for restoration." But she didn't sound a clear trumpet. She gave us mishmash. "
I am divorced and remarried. I am not proud of that fact. I failed at something important, sinned. I know God is not pleased with divorce. The Bible hasn't changed. I have seen the pain that it has caused and I am sorry for that. As a counselor and as a divorced person, I would strongly say to others NOT to take divorce lightly, and not to throw away any chances of survival for the family. I feel EXTREMELY blessed to have been forgiven and feel that without the healing that has taken place in my life, ANY further relationship I had engaged in would have also failed. I feel it is a blessing and priviledge to be forgiven and still a part of the kingdom of God. God is awesome and holiness is still required.
I truly respect those couples who have chosen to stay together and who have made their marriages work in spite of all the difficulties there. This means a lot of patience and requires a lot of healing, forgiveness, and grace.
Good article. Challenging subject. God help us is right.