Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Friendship

Well! It was such fun hearing and reading the comments on my last poem, I think I'll do it again. Obviously, the title came after the completion of the poem. Here it is:
Friendship

Since you liked my poem so much, I thought I’d write another.
One that I thought all would view, plus sister and my brother.
This poem doesn’t have the tone, that grips you at the heart,
But if you want to read it still, be sure it’s not ‘in part’.

This message may be silly, and it may be serious.
I do not know which way I’ll go. It’s so mysterious.
What ever comes is what you’ll get, ‘cause that is what I’ll write.
It may be something meaningful. It may be oh, so trite.

Let me start by saying this, “You now are my good friend.
I do not want to say a thing that brings it to an end.
A friend is very good to have, when / if you need someone,
But even better is a friend, to help you get life done.

We sing together and we pray, and worship our Dear Lord.
We do it in the church you know? It really isn’t hard.
What we really ought to do is worship on the street,
For God deserves our highest praise wherever we may meet.

Someone may be in great need, and if they watch us pray,
It may entice them to the Lord, by just the words we say.
We’re not ashamed to make it known; the blessings of our God
He really wants to bless all men who walk upon this sod.

If they approach us with their need, will we turn them away,
Or will we give them our friendship if only for a day?
Jesus gave us His friendship for all eternity.
He wants us just to share His love, and do it just for free.

Hey, now I see where this has gone. I really didn’t know,
That it would be about friendship; and kindnesses we sow.
So let this be a message clear, for everyone to see;
If we want to make our mark, then friendship is the key.

– Lowell A. Brannen

5 comments:

Fred said...

Lowell! This is great stuff!!! Keep more of it coming. Maybe you have a collection of poems you have written? I don't think I have known this side of you very well.

L A Brannen said...

I've never tried to develop that side of me. I guess you know about a couple of songs that I wrote. There may be a few that I never did try to sing anywhere but in my own house, and a few poems along the way. Maybe I should try to do more of this kind of stuff. Maybe that's my destiny for my older years of life. Who knows?

Travelin' On said...

Actually, I would like to see some of your songs posted on here.
Esp. "I'll Cross the Sea" and "He's Got it All Under His Control." (my two personal faves. I would like having the words on here. I might actually be able to remember them better that way! I'm not good at remembering all the lyrics in a song. (usually a line or 2 will stick, but not enough to sing it all)
I was thinking the other day about one you wrote and used to sing. It used the names of God, Jehovah Nissi, Raphah, Jirah....remember that one? That was a long time ago....but I remember some of it still.
So, yes, more poems, more songs, more, more.... :) I vote yes to more.

Unknown said...

yes, lets have the poems and song lyrics, please. i'm trying to write more songs, but i keep coming up to a wall. creativity just doesn't come when i want it too. love you berry much
tabbys eldest girl,
becca

Favorite One said...

Well, your kids must've gotten their writing talents from you! I'm impressed! Please, keep it coming. And, by the way - I think Jesus would be proud of the friend you are to others. Love you!