Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Not Me, But You!

I don't know what to title this poem. I thought about, Not Me But You, Making the Transition, Passing the Wand, Passing the Crown, and I have even thought about, Passing the Buck! I would be delighted if you would let me have your suggestions. Whatever the title, here it is:

Why can’t I ever be the one
To win the races I have run
And get the crown of victory,
Instead of all those who beat me.

I worked so hard to pass the test
And tied to be my very best,
But after all was said and done,
It was somebody else who won.

I tried so hard to get ahead,
To be accepted and be led
To higher grounds and lofty heights,
To touch the stars and see the lights.

Oft-times I never stopped to see
The many people there by me
Who cheered me on, along the way,
Who cheered me on, most every day.

But I was rushed and hand no time
To shake their hand and be so kind,
‘Cause I could only see my goal.
It took my all to play my role.

About the time I thought I’d win,
I’d stumble because of my sin.
I’d try then to regain control,
But I had lost my heart and soul.

‘Twas not just once nor twice nor thrice,
Continuously I’d see my vice
Arise and distract my intent,
And then my anger I would vent.

My friends would gather all around
And pick me up from off the ground.
They’d dust me off. I’d hear them say,
Keep running friend. Be on your way.

Well, I have since resigned the race
Now that I can not keep the pace.
Besides, it’s hard to pay these dues.
So I’ve hung up my running shoes.

I’m now content to stand aside
And cheer you on and watch your stride.
So, if you ever need some friends,
I’ve found the time to make amends.

Run on my friend and don’t slow down.
I want to help you win your crown.
I’ll find great joy down deep within
If I can see, I’ve helped you win.

The crown awaits, it’s there for you.
Go for it now. You’re crown persue.
Do not look to your left nor right,
It’s there for you. It is in sight.

--Lowell A. Brannen

3 comments:

Favorite One said...

WOW! I LOVE this poem! It can have so many meanings. It could be us as a person telling our friend to run - or, perhaps it's Jesus talking to us when we're in despair, perhaps even at the end - telling us "Run on, my friend" - the crown is waiting!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your encouraging poem. I have a muddle of tears piling in my eyes. I needed to be reminded of how we have to dust each other off and get the crown. We win because we hung in until we finish. Thank you so much for blessing me so many times. I love you!

Unknown said...

i think the title should be "the race for the crown" or somehthing like that. it was very good either way