Monday, February 25, 2008

Sleep Apnea

Here's an article I found on Careplace that I thought might interest some of you. It's a 'Sleep Disorders Blog' From About.com. According to this article, my arteries must be very clean. I've been using the CPAP for about a year now. It really does make a difference.

Treat Sleep Apnea for Clean Arteries
Monday February 25, 2008
Treating sleep apnea for four months has the same effect on the plaque and stiffness of your arteries as taking a cholesterol drug for a year does. Using a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure device) doctors were able to reduce heart attack and stroke risk in 24 men with sleep apnea. After four months, their arteries were much cleaner, according to the study. Yet another reason to take treating sleep disorders seriously.More on Sleep Apnea

3 comments:

Favorite One said...

So do you have a prescription for CPAP? Is it a machine? How do you use it?

lorrie said...

Kudos to you Lowell for opting for better alternatives to health issues other than the "recommended"pills pushed on society by doctors and the FDA.Hope it works well for you.I am praying for you.I checked out CarePlace for myself and I'm thrilled there is a place I can go now for advice and info about certain health issues I have.Thanks for leading me to that place!

L A Brannen said...

Yes, it is a machine. I don't have a prescription for it but the doctor is the one who ordered it for me, therefore the insurance paid for it. First the doctor ordered a sleep test, which I did at Skyridge. I guess a person could get a CPAP without the drs. orders if they wanted to pay for it. This machine forces (pumps) air into your nostrils as you breath, via hose and facemask. The adjustment is so that it will not force more than you need, but it is enough to prevent any obstruction from closing your nasel passages, which cause snoring. All sleep apnea is not caused by any obvious obstruction, but the sleep test will reveal if, and what kind. More could be said but if you or anyone you know snores excessively, the doctor should be notified, I think.