Saturday, May 31, 2008

We're back from Louisiana

We just returned from Louisiana yesterday, so I have spent most of my computer time today catching up on my emails and other spaces. We had a good trip. As it has been so many times before, I believe that God was with us for a safe trip, both going and coming.

Our purpose for the trip was to check on Janis' mother and to spend some time there with her. She is 86 years old and she is beginning to show that she is getting feeble. She did seem to be a little more spry and lively the last day we were there but I suspect that it was just for a while. It's a sobering thought to know that we are all getting older every day and that we too shall soon be 86 yrs. old. Soon?? Yes, soon. You see, 21 years (that's how many years I will have before I turn 86) does not seem nearly as long as it used to seem, and what makes it worse is that 21 years of being over 65 will not be as agressively active as the 21 years before. Well, anyway, we were confronted with the thoughts of loosing Janis' mother in the near future - Not only Janis' mother but my mother as well. My mother just recently turned 87. We do have to face the facts. None of us are going to live forever in this present state of existence.

Speaking of my mother, let me tell you a little about her. About two months ago, she preached a revival for Ed Dickerson at the Hudson Chapel Church of God. She preached Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday morning. I was there with her and I preached Sunday night. About a month ago, she was ready to go, and did go to Crosville with the Peacemakers for a day filled with fellowship, shopping, good food and a play at the Cumberland County Play House. As of right now, this very minuet, she is in Florida. She went with Bonita, my sister, and her husband, Michael, to Orlando, FL to go to Disney World. Can you believe it? An 87 year old woman at Disney World? She started out with a bang. The first night there, she slipped down the steps in the camper and broke her arm. At least that's what she told us. Do you suppose that she could have been sliding down the waterslide or maybe riding one of those wild rides designed for active teenagers and maybe fell off and broke her arm? haha! Well, I guess we will take her word for it and assume that it wasn't like that. :) The last I heard, she is doing better with her arm in a temporary plastic cast. She will see the doctor her in Cleveland when she gets back so they can put her arm in a permanent cast. Thank the Lord that she didn't hurt herself more than that, and thank the Lord that she is able to take care of herself as much as she does. But you know, we just do not know who will be the next to leave this world. It could be my mother, or it could be Janis' mother. It could be me!! Or it could be you!!! We would do well to be ready to answer the call of the Master, whenever that may be.

Let me sign off for now and post a few pictures taken in and around Janis' mother's house.

Janis' Mother, Edna Stamper. (86 years old)

Janis' Mother and Daddy - some years ago.


My youngest daughter Jennifer and her husband Bill. And Brownie and Daisy.


Well, who do you think? Me and the First Lady! (Picture taken at her nephew's house)


Janis and her three sisters and three brothers (two now deceased) were raised in this house.


Glen's garden. Glen is Janis's brother.


The land is rented out to another farmer.

What in the world could that be?? A tire??

I believe this Grand Toreno has seen it's best days.

3 comments:

Fred said...

Hey Lowell, thanks for taking Mom to the doc when she got here. She said on the phone that she is better. I'm glad you had a good and safe trip to Louisiana and back.

K E Alexander said...

In spite of the broken arm (I'm really sorry to hear about that) I think your Mom will outlast us all and still be preaching revivals. I do note that it was at a "worldly amusement" that she had an accident NOT at the Hudson Chapel COG!

L A Brannen said...

That's right. It was at one of those "worldly amusement parks". Can you believe she is praying for a miracle of healing for that arm after going to such a place? Can you believe that it looks like she is in the process of getting one? She did not have to have a cast, just ace bandages and the sling. Now the swelling has gone down and the ace bandage has come loose and she has taken it off. It still hurts some but not near as bad as it used to. I believe she will surprise the doctor when she goes back in about a week or so to see him. That's my mom.