Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hair Today and Gone Tomorrow!

Well, it's been 16 weeks now since I started treatment. I was told of the possibility of hair loss but until now, I seem to have dodged that side effect. I would guess that I have lost about half of my hair since it started coming out in the shower about 8 weeks ago. I've always lost some hair from time to time when I showered, but it is getting down to serious business now. I have always had plenty hair. I mean it has always been thick. Now, my scalp is beginning to show through the hair. Looks like it may be another month, maybe two and I'll do what my son did. He shaved his head. He did it because he was going bald anyway and because of the style, but if I shave my head it will be because of the loss of hair.

My wife knows about hair loss. When she went through chemo-therapy for cancer she began to loose her hair after about one month of treatment. Then it was about 1 or 2 weeks when she had lost so much hair that we shaved her head. What a strong lady she was and is. Now, she has her hair back,...all she wants of it. I'm not complaining. Folks who don't know me would not realize that it's coming out. Right now I have enough to cover my head very well, but I'm afraid it will be gone tomorrow.

If I loose my hair, I will get it back...........won't I?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With some more hair loss, you'll just look more like your oldest brother. :-) And, I happen to think he's a pretty good lookin' fellow. :-) I'm sorry you're going thru the experience. Dad never had an excuse for hair loss, it just happened. Luv, your "favorite" niece.

K E Alexander said...

Now you'll look like the perfect combination of your mother and father!

Travelin' On said...

I'm sorry. I'm sure it is difficult to be experiencing hair loss. It is nice that your wife can empathize with you. (not nice that she had to endure it but nice that she is understanding.)
I've always said she is one of my heroes for her dignity, fortitude, and well....joy... in her battle with cancer
Well, now I have another hero to add to my wall. I hope you know that you are loved.
And, well.. based on Janis' expereicence I'd say you will get your hair back. Hey, what if it comes back a differnt color?! That'd be like a NEW you, right? :)