Friday, May 25, 2007

Can This Be God's Will?

When we think of sickness, we usually agree that it is not God's will for any of us to be sick but it is His will for us to be healed. If it could be God's will for anyone to be sick, how could we pray the prayer of faith for their healing. I tend to believe that if God wants you to be sick, you're going to be sick and if He wants you to be healed you're going to be healed, but that brings the question to mind, "Why would God want anyone to be sick, especially when by His stripes we are healed?" Here's the question: Can sickness be God's will for someone, sometime? I'm really thinking of my condition. Can this be God's will?

I remember when Janis had to go through Chemo-therapy and have radiation treatments, she said that she believed she was supposed to take the chemo and radiation treatments but yet we believed that when she had the mastectomy done that all the cancer was removed. We believed that God let the doctor get it all. God directed the doctor, or so we prayed and believed. So, now why must she go through the treatments? I don't have the answer to that but it was so obvious that God was with her through that time. We still rejoice and give God the praise. But me! What about me?

Can it be God's will for me to go through this therapy? It's easier for me to see how that can be true than it was for me to see how it could have been true for Janis. With her, the doctors successfully removed the cancer. With me there was no operation but the hepatitis-c virus needed to be treated, so the therapy for me is, we believe, killing the virus. In that sense, perhaps God is healing me through the treatments. Now I know how this mind thinks. Why doesn't God just go ahead and do a miracle and heal me without any outside help? Does God need help? No, He doesn't need any help to do what ever He wants to do, but we sure do. This treatment, I believe, is doing more for me than just killing the hepatitis-c virus. I believe it has taught me some things that I would not have otherwise learned and it is restoring in me some qualities needed to do whatever God wants me to do in the future. I feel inadequate when it comes to explaining and proving some things I believe, but I still believe them. I still believe in divine healing. I still believe that God has everything under control. I am not about to put my trust in anything or anyone else but God, yet somehow, I believe it is God's will for me to take these therapy treatments.

And how am I doing? I'm glad you asked! I'm doing fine. I took my shot Wednesday, felt pretty good Thursday but did feel a little emotional effect - you know, the crying thing, and awoke this AM feeling quite battered. I did OK most of the day and preached tonight at the Towers and sang one song by myself and one with Janis. After the service was over, I began to feel fatigued and still do. God is great! God is good! God is wonderful! Bless His Holy Name!

Thanks for reading my post, but if you didn't read it, just don't tell me. I think it will do me good if I'll go to bed early tonight. (Jas 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Now bedtime is a sin! Great! :)
Sorry that you are feeling weepy & tired. If it helps, I love you and read your blog everyday so I know whats up and how to pray. love you!

L A Brannen said...

I don't even read my on blog every day but I do read yours, Donice's and I would read Jonathans if he'd post anything, as frequently as any bogsites. That's almost every day. Sometimes though, I really don't read anything; I just check it out, and if nothing new is posted I move on to something else. But this is a fun way to keep up to date on people isn't it? We love you and want you to know that we are praying for you and your ministry.

L A Brannen said...

Oh, and by the way! I guess I sinned last night. I didn't get to bed until about midnight. And I knew better!!

Travelin' On said...

Well, after 47 years about the only conclusion I can have is that anything can be part of God's plan and his will!!
Isn't it amazing when we look back (always after the fact) and THEN we can see how pain and suffering are such a "good and necessary" part of who we are, who we have become, and what we have accomplished? I pray often that God will help me to totally trust him and help me to remember that he certainly does have everything under control and I just need to enjoy the chariot ride! Why is this so hard to remember when we're facing some sort of adversity? I suppose it is just because of our frailty and human nature!
Love ya brother.