Thursday, May 24, 2007

I Don't Want To Be Theologically Incorrect!

First, let me give you a brief report of my progress. Tuesday, I received a call from the nurse at the doctor's office informing me that my last lab work looked good. I think that means my white and red blood cells are OK. I'm not becoming anemic.

The shot I gave myself about a week ago, seemed to have very little side effect if any. I felt good all week. Last night I gave myself another shot and I feel fine this morning. However, I just checked my email and read about "The Fireman". Did any of you get it? Before I could finish reading it, I had to dry both of my eyes. Tears were streaming down both cheeks. It is a sad and touching story, and I would have felt sympathy for the mother and sorrow for the son anyway, but I normally could read things like that and at least not have to get a paper towel out to dry my eyes. That's the way this medicine seems to be working on me. Every symptom is not consistent. I do feel the fatigue working on me this morning also, but so far, not like it was week before last.

Now, to another subject: 'Theological Incorrectness'. It has occurred to me that I am living in the middle of a theological pool. Everywhere I go I see 'theology' dripping off of the the lips of the pool bathers. I never worried about that situation here when I was pastoring. Maybe that was because I was in the A/G and not a real member of the C/G community. Looking back, I can see that I was in a survivable situation then. I wonder about it now. Oh, I will survive. In case some of you may not be aware of it, after resigning my pastorate in the A/G, I did what I had to do to be reinstated as an 'Ordained Bishop' in the C/G. Now, I am attending the North Cleveland C/G and going to the 'Encourager's' S.S. class, fellowshipping with the 'Peacemakers' and socializing with some 'theologians'. Some are real theologians and some are wanna-be theologians.

I recently read a blog by 'I-don't-know-who' and was a little disturbed. This 'theologian' (I guess he was a theologian) was criticizing somebodies attempt to prove the existence of God. Now I don't know all the scientific facts about this person's proof, but I cannot understand why anyone would be upset enough to criticize someone who is on our side, really. Maybe that person trying to prove the existence of God was 'scientifically and theologically incorrect', but it seems to me that if God has anything to do with things as they are today, then we must accept things as they are and from that point begin our investigation. Now, most people are not concerned with the history and scientific facts of a thing as much as the effect of the thing. I agree that we cannot ignore truthful facts but God is in control of everything whether we agree with it or try to change it or not. He is still in control and the creator of all things.

If I keep blogging, I might blog myself right out of my life jacket and drown in this pool. I know this may not make much sense to some of you, but maybe some of you can read between the lines and understand what I'm trying to say. I think we need to "Agree with (our) adversary quickly, whiles (we) art in the way with him" Mt 5:25a (KJV), rather than criticize him. Oh! I see. Did you catch that? No, not the way the scripture reads. It's that little "(KJV)" thing. Some say that's the problem. That's why I don't see things 'theologically correct'. I don't know! I may be stepping into the arena and be fixin' to get my head straightened out, but that's OK. I will survive. I just don't want to be 'theologically incorrect'.

Oh, by the way. I am not a theologian.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe that I had to leave the C/G and become "Unaffiliated" because of my incorrectness. Perhaps. I don't think the (KJV) thing is to blame. I had to swim away from the theological pool of Cleveland to realize that there you are surrounded and in the pool you become "all wet".
Yes, let's agree and love and have mercy! They will know you are my disciples IF you have love one for another.

Anonymous said...

Hey Uncle! It's your FAVORITE niece. :-) I'm certainly not a theologian either - aren't we ALL glad!?! Your blog is so great - I miss your preachin' - but this is pretty good stuff. Here's some theological sounding stuff... "Before me, even as behind, God is and all is well." Psalm 32:7 (God) shall surround me with songs of deliverance.

Travelin' On said...

God is and all is well....That's about enough scripture for the rest of our lives! :)Good one neice!
I really like that. Who needs to worry about "correct theology" when we have such powerful scriptures to encourage us, huh?
Love ya brother, keep bloggin' :) We'll keep readin.

Anonymous said...

Oh My! Brother Lowell!!! All that Theological Gharbahge is something I do not worry my head about. I KNOW I'm saved, born again, changed...and even those little words will give the Theologians grounds to do battle. How much more interesting it gets when I say I'm a sanctived, filled with the Holy Ghost, tongues talking red-neck!! I'm with you on seeing the pool which I hope has no "cess" in it. Laugh a little. It's good for your arthritis!

Did I tell you that Ed Williams and I went up to the "Brush Harbor" meetin' the other night? It was just around the corner and across the creek from my cabin. The arbor was there - made from good poles - with a few dead pine limbs on top and one battery operated light bulb hung in the middle. A plexiglas pulpit was at the front, with the old red-backed hymn books inside it. About 30 chairs set out in front of the pulpit. When Ed and I arrived the fellow promoting the thing came out of his trailer smoking a cigarette to welcome us to the meetin' with a handshake and a few apologies that no one else had showed up yet. He said that his church was, quote, "a un-denominated church". That way ever-body could come and worship together. He said that we're all worshipping th same God. I laughed and said, "Well, if we have Jesus, been saved by th blood, then that's true - but Mohammed or Bhudda can't save ya!" Well - we sat and visited there for about 30 minutes but no one else showed up - not even the preacher (who was the brother of the man organizing the meetin'!) He told us that the night before the singers had showed up but they did not show up the night we were there. At about 6:30 (30 minutes after starting time) his wife came out of their trailer and introduced herself to us. After a couple of minutes we realized there would be not metting that night, so I said - "Let me share my Pumzika story with ya'll." Then we left.

When we left I told Ed that I had accomplished what I had wanted too by going to this "Brush Harbor Meetin'!" I had met my neighbor and now he knows who I am and I know who he is. Theologically ? It was as much fun for me as a debate on the most important subject this pool of coffee-sippin saints could ever come up with.

Lowell, thank you for sharing so openly during this time. I'm praying for you each and every day for strength and complete healing in spite of all the medicine the doctors are ordering for you.

Fred
++++

m.d. mcmullin said...

Perhaps the theologian you speak of was simply concerned that we often attempt to "prove" God using human reasoning thus handicapping new believers.

God exists not because I can prove Him but because he is.

If I prove to someone God exists using facts and data and evidence, the chances are great that someone else will come up with their own facts and data and evidence to disprove.

I would rather let God prove Himself through Divine Reason (his Spirit drawing us to Him) than to handicap a young believer with human reason.

Love the blog. Glad you are on the world wide web. Blessings!