Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Campmeeting Days Are Here Again!

Monday night was the opening night of the Tennessee State campmeeting for the Church of God. Dr. Tim Hill, the Second Assistant Overseer of the denomination preached powerfully. Each morning at 9:30 AM we have Bible Study, and after the morning break we hear from a selected minister. The afternoon is free and then at 7:00 PM we are at it again with more good preaching by Bryan Cutshall.

Campmeeting today is not like what I remember and is not like what I have heard so much about from my Mother and Dad and my Grandmother. All were ministers. I actually remember 'camping' on the campgrounds for the campmeeting. Sometimes I become weary from hearing about how things are not like they used to be, so I'll try not to complain to my decedents about it. I know things are changing. It is inevitable. Thank God for change. I prefer padded pews to wooden benches; brick walls to wood lap-siding; automated heating and cooling systems to wood or coal burning stoves and funeral parlor fans; carpet to rough wood or cement floors; all of these modern facilities to those old, inconvenient and inadequate ones.

It seems fairly easy to accept cultural differences when we think about those who worship in another country, but it is more difficult for some of us old-timers to accept the cultural changes that are taking place in our own locale. It is happening. Our parents thought we were 'going to the dogs', so to speak. Now, we look at this new generation coming up and we think, "Oh, God! What has happened? Where did we fail? Our church is going down the road to destruction!" In those old campmeeting days, the preaching was different. The music was different. The program was different. And yes, the culture was different. These people of today are not just like those of yesterday. I must allow for this new culture to be captivated by the power of the Holy Spirit and let God do what He will with them. I have a feeling that God is big enough to preserve whatever He wants to preserve and to eradicate whatever He wants to eradicate. To my peers I say, "Let go! Turn loose! Quit holding this culture back from God. God is in control. It is His church, not ours. He promised that 'the gates of hell shall not prevail against it' - His church, not our church." I am confident that He knows what He is doing and He is doing it right.

But I do miss those "good-ole-days". There are a lot of us old-timers alive and well. We could make up quite a number if you got us all together. Now, whoever is in charge will probably, and understandably, do it their way - as God allows them to. If you're talking about a church full of seniors, there will probably be some hymn book singing and KJV Bible reading, and some "Haah!" anointed preaching. Do you know what I mean? But, if it is a church full of young people like my sons and daughters, they will do it differently. Bear with me just a moment now. We older folks could just eliminate every position for young people and require them to just sit and listen, and that might solve the problem for some folks. On the other hand, the youth could just ignore the older ones of us, and do what they please while we grasp for anything to help us survive. What a problem! The solution must be in different ministries to all the different cultures in the church. OK! We will let the youth play their worship music and we will pick-and-grin while we use the old red back hymnal. But when and where with each one? I'm telling you, pastoring is not easy, but it can be done.

I see some great, exciting leaders emerging in this generation. I believe we can expect some good ole "campmeeting" days ahead. They will probably not be referred to as "campmeeting days", but call it anything you like, just let God be in control.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You ROCK! (that would be a young person expression). I believe that I have finally found a minister that realizes that God didn't call you to minister to yourself. I love the old pickin' and singin' and I love the new "off the wall worship" but what I love the most is when people come to know the Lord Jesus Christ. If we will just agree that the best worship is the kind that comes from the heart then we all can get along. (but even as a young person I still miss the old campmeetin' days) :)

Travelin' On said...

Woo! Good preaching Bro. Brannen!

"Long ago when but aboy at old campmeeting time..." I'm glad I know those old redneck...er redback hymnal songs!

I can tell I'm middle-aged because it seems that I like those songs more every year!

You said it so well in your blog. It's ok to love the old while embracing the new.

toothsleuth said...

Hey, I know I'm only 31, but I still remember some "good ol' campmeeting days" myself. I have vivid memories of being in the children's service and kids from around ages 7 on up to 15 were laying hands on one another, praying in tongues, prophecying, and the like. God is the same God today as He was yesterday and will be tomorrow! I'm so thankful to have been blessed to grow up in a Christian family and "cut my teeth on church pews"!! I guess we all have our own good ol' days memories. The trick is to make sure that we allow for some of those same memories to be made for this generation and those to come.

conner said...

I will always remember singing, & leading song service, from out of those precious wonderful old red back hymnals, (oh yes, remember the old camp meeting, convention song books)? we sang from those too! "I Can Almost Hear Trumpets", "I Want To be Ready, when Jesus Comes".

After we sang about 5, or 6, from the book, we would than begin singing wonderful, blessed old chorus's such as; He's a sea Walker, He's Coming Soon, and many other's, which one rarely hears these days; "Standing Somewhere in the Shadows". After we had song about one song, you could just feel the Holy Spirit moving on the congregation. People would begin the stand & shout the Glories of God. Than, someone would either run the isles, or begin to dance in the Spirit.

Yet, Saints, someday when we are all gathered together in heaven, this world will be but a memory. "Yesterday, Today, and forever, Jesus is the same"! "All may change, but Jesus never". "Glory to his name"!!