Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Theologically Incorrect, But Accepted!

In reference to a recent comment to my post entitled “I Don’t Want To Be Theologically Incorrect” and dated “Thursday, May 24, 2007”, I offer the following:

The theologian that I referred to was probably concerned with our faulty attempts to “prove” God. Our faulty attempts, i.e. our human reasoning, will never be adequate proof of the existence of God. As a matter of fact, human reasoning is not sufficient to bring a man into a personal relationship with God. It can introduce him to God, but the only thing that can bring a man to a relationship with God is “faith”. If we could “prove” the existence of God, where then, would “faith” be required?

As stated in the comment, “If I prove to someone God exists using facts and data and evidence, the chances are great that someone else will come up with their own facts and data and evidence to disprove.” That is so true, and because our human reasoning can be counter balanced by their human reasoning, we then have the grounds for ‘faith’, which God demands of those who come to Him. It may be referred to as ‘Divine Reason’, ‘His Spirit drawing us to Him’ or yet other references, but it is still because of ‘faith’ working in us that God is able to draw us to Him?

Faulty ‘proofs’ will not do the trick. It only introduces some doubtful, yet searching minds, to the possibility of the truth we intend to portray. Often, our human reasoning is, what appears to be, a hindrance to man when it comes to understanding the ‘true’ concept of God. Every time we preach, we are using human reasoning in our attempt to prove our point. Should we stop preaching? No, Of course not! So, what about those who are hindered by our human reasoning? It is ‘their’ responsibility now, at this point, to act in faith and step across the ‘gap’ between them and God. Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

All of this that I have just said and all of our human reasoning is faulty. So, I am probably theologically incorrect, but what else can a non-theologian be? Could he be ‘Accepted’?

I believe that Kirk and Ray are helping to win lost men and women to Christ and helping some to believe in the existence of God, but I must admit, I don’t think a banana would have been adequate proof to me of the existence of God if I was searching for such proof.

Thanks ‘Mike’ for your comments. I checked out your blogspot and thought it was great. I would love to receive any comments to this posting.

I still love Kirk and Ray.

4 comments:

m.d. mcmullin said...

Thanks for your response.

I think we agree on this. I'm sure there are lots of folks impacted in a very positive way by what Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort are doing. I know a man in my church who has used their "techniques" and "logic" many times and seen fruit with it.

But I think it only appeals to a certain mindset. I think it would not work on me were I not already a believer. Not to be condescending but many folks know that "evidence" can be manipulated to anyone's advantage (look at political polls). Their technique seems a bit cheesy to me.

At the end of all our attempts to lead people to God(preaching, singing, arguments, videos featuring bananas) we cannot force them to take the final step...faith. Believing no matter what the facts say.

Thanks again for the dialogue. I have a great deal of respect for you and your point of view.

Anonymous said...

Thank the Good Lord - You are still preaching! I've really missed you as my preacher - this is a nice way to get to "hear" some good preachin'!
Love, Your "Favorite" Niece!

Unknown said...

I love Kirk & Ray, too! I think they are giving a lot of believers who are really insecure about the "how-do-i-do-it" ways of sharing their faith. Reading their Way of the Master site also has convicted my heart. How well and how often am I sharing my faith with others? Does the great commission not say, "Go ye unto ALL the world and preach the gospel to every creature."? I love a good debate as much as the next preacher, but why do we get so keyed up with the how? Let's get keyed up about the go! I love you so much! Thanks again for challenging me to get out there and do outreach!

Travelin' On said...

Wow,
You're getting all high tech and your blog is getting more and more you know....fancy! Whew. How will I keep up?
I like the new Way FM addition. I tried it and played it. NICE.

Yep, once a preacher always a preacher. What do you get when you cross a blogger with a preacher? A bleacher, a progger...? It was a man or a woman or a .....well you know....heeheehee